Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hopeless Romantic


Last night I went to go see my first Opera entitled La Boheme. You see I  have always loved the arts since I was a child, and lately I've been making it a point to soak up as much of it as I can. In the past few weeks I've visited, plays, musicals, museums, dance performances, art show, and now an opera. 

I pretty much knew what to expect, which mind you is not a woman with a viking hat on and braids belting out her vocals to the audience. I knew that it would be in a language I did not understand but the story of the opera would lend itself a hand. Thank goodness that there were subtitles not only in English but in Spanish as well. Although the subtitles were on a screen above the stage, the great seats Merari and I scored (five rows from the stage) more than made up for it. 

The tragic love story took the both of us on a joyful ride, through laughter, sarcasm, wit, and of course poetry lines that make anyone want to be in love(Thankfully I am).  La Boheme only reminded me of what a hopeless romantic that I am.  Both of us discussed how nice it would be to dance under the stars, enjoy candle lit dinners, night walks on the beach, etc. you get the picture. Hollywood has done a fabulous job of feeding us romantics great scenes and romances that only stir up our imagination. Of course, at the end of the opera even knowing what was going to happen thanks to the synopsis, I still cried.  These things get me every time, somehow I find myself relating to them as if I were one of the characters.

All I can say is, if you love the arts and are willing to try something new, than give the opera a try. Its about an experience and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did.




Paula- Thanks for the tickets wish you could of joined us...