Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mom, Tia, & Me

Tonight I decided it was time to spend some family bonding time. My mother has been on my case lately about never spending time with her or the family. I'd normally push her comments to the side until I realized how busy I've become. My priorities were out of line. I had managed to place other events and people ahead of my family. I knew that I was missing my family more and more but couldn't seem to say no to everything else. However, today after work I decided to cook dinner for my mother and tia. I knew today was the only real day that the girls could just bond over movies and good laughs. So I came home and cooked a Mozzarella Chicken, Asparagus, and a Pineapple Lush Cake. It had been awhile since I was last in the kitchen cooking, and seeing that I'm in charge of Easter dinner, I figured it was time to experiment with new recipes. Once dinner was ready my mother cut into the first chicken breast and just smiled. The real test came with my tia tasting the meal. If anyone knows my aunt then you would know she complains about everything and always has something to comment about. So it was time, she took a bite of the chicken and then the asparagus and said nothing. I didn't quite know if that was a good sign or she was just being nice since I cooked dinner unexpectedly. Finally words came out of her mouth, she really liked it...for once, aaaah a moment of relief. After dinner we enjoyed dessert while watching a brazilian novella and laughing at the ridiculousness of the show.  I really enjoyed this evening with my mother and tia. It had been a long time since we really sat down and laughed together and I'm glad I did today.