Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mad Dash

This upcoming weekend my mother, aunt Mickey, and myself will be taking a road trip up to Louisville. You might be thinking wait you're moving already, but don't get your britches in a bundle. Since Rey and I acquired some of our gifts at the engagement party we thought it would be wise to start moving it up, plus it was another excuse for me to see Rey. 

After Rey moved into our new apartment this past week, we noticed our place looked a little on the empty side, so Ikea it was. Yesterday my mother, aunt, and myself ventured over to the land of European wonder. Upon arrival we discovered that there were only 3 left of our love seat. My aunt said we better make a run for it. Before I knew it we were off on a mad dash  like that of Supermarket Sweeps. I used to love watching that show. Luckily we found our love seat and only two were left. My mother on the other hand was no where to be found, which meant my aunt an I had to lift, move, and pack the sofa ourselves. Mission accomplished! Now we could go back and look around, enjoy our time, and grab our last item the TV stand. After 3 hours at IKEA I picked up some noble tips:

-wear tennis shoes (flip flops just slide around when moving heavy furniture)
-have time and patience (in other words don't go when they are having a promotion)
-think outside the box (book stand on its side makes for a cool coffee table or TV stand)
-be ready to spend (once you see all your options you want it all)
-take advantage of the store (aka seat on the furniture when tired...test it out wink wink)
-make use of their employees (there is something to be said about men moving furniture)

Now comes the fun part, trying to pack our furniture, gifts, and ourselves in the car for a long 17 hour car ride. This should make for an interesting blog post. Stay Tuned.