Thursday, March 10, 2011

Labor and Delivery

Zoë Ella De Armas
7 lbs. 11 oz.
20 in.

So it’s been a month since little baby Zoë was born and things are starting to fall into routine. I say that loosely since everyday is an adventure. I absolutely enjoy being a mother and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Although my birthing process didn’t go as expected it was still worth every moment. Some have asked me to share my experience as to gain some perspective. My first piece of advice is: No that anything and everything can change on a moments notice. Its great to have a birthing plan, which mine was have the baby, just know that it might not happen that way and be prepared to handle it. So here goes:

Thursday night we headed to bed and I began to feel some pain along the lines of painful period cramps. I ignored it since I have a high pain tolerance and I was determined not to be the pregnant woman who goes to the hospital only to have false labor and be sent home. So I decided to download a contractions app that would help me measure the length of each contraction and their frequency. While my husband was asleep I was using this handy device. At around 2:00 am I prayed to the Lord to show me a sign since my contractions where consistent at times and at others all over the place. He delivered, my next contraction was so painful that I woke up Rey and said its time. Once we arrived at the hospital my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I was only 3cm dilated. They decided to admit me since I was having consistent contractions. I was admitted at 4 am into a labor and delivery room. I had decided to have an epidural so I received it and believe me it was well worth it. Honestly, it didn’t hurt since I had already been through painful enough contractions. The one thing you do feel is a cold sensation go down your back as the medicine is being injected. I oddly enjoyed the sensation, what can I say I’m weird like that. Once the medication took effect, which was in seconds, I was in a state of bliss. Rey and my family would look at my contractions on the machine and I wouldn’t feel a thing. My doctor finally came in to break my water around 8am. Breaking your water doesn’t hurt and they use this breaking technology to do it, a long stick with a point, seriously breaking technology. She checked me an I was still 3cm. She (my doctor) decided to let my body do its thing, which I appreciated since some doctors try to push their agenda on you. Around 11:30 I still hadn’t dilated any more so the decided to give me Pitocin. At 3pm I had dilated to 4-5cm so I was making progress but very slowly. So they raised the amount of pitocin. My doctor came back in at 5pm and noticed I had moved to 5cm. I really didn’t want to have a c-section because it was major surgery, the recovery was longer, and it may jeopardize me every having a chance to have a true vaginal labor. My doctor advised me that Zoë’s head wasn’t turning into position and my cervix was opening enough for her to come through. I had already been in labor 16 hrs and 10 of them without my water. At this point I had to think about what was best for my little girl and put aside my wants. I didn’t want to put her under any more stress that labor can cause. So I was prepped for surgery and was told about what would take place and the recovery room. Surgery was great…which is odd to say. The medical staff assisting my doctor was amazing. I was laughing at their jokes while they maintained their professionalism. I didn’t feel a thing; in fact I was shocked when one of the staff said they’ve already cut into you. Five minutes or so after they began I heard my child cry and Rey was by my side and I just couldn’t help but cry along with her. The overwhelming sense of love came over me. They cleaned her up and Rey cut her umbilical cord and I was able to hold her while they were sewing me up. We were able to take our first family photo. The surgery took a total of 45mins and I was sent to the recovery room for a 1.5 hrs. I was able to see my little girl again around 11pm since they had to take her to the nursery and do their thing.

Although, things didn’t turn out the way I planned I am still so thankful for the precious gift the Lord has given to Rey and I. I hope that my story helps someone understand the labor process and c-sections.