Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Herding Cattle

On Sunday I leave for Guatemala on a missions trip and I am overly excited to be doing God’s work and serving him in which ever means possible. There is one slight problem however…my passport hasn’t arrived. So, yesterday I got up at the crack of dawn (actually before that) to go downtown to the charming passport agency. This is pretty much how my day went.

5:30am: Woke up after 2 hrs of sleep (not a good idea)

6:00am: Arrived @ the agency only to see a gigantic line had already formed.

6:10am: Parked in the overly priced garage. $2.50 per ¾ hr GREAT!

7:30am: Started conversation with strangers in order to keep my sanity. My ADD had already kicked in. I can only remain quiet for so long and I had surpassed it an hour and 10 mins. before this point.

8:15am: It began to rain-lucky me! So like any smart individual my clan and I (yep..I
had already formed a clan) decided to move forward under shelter. Little did
we know that it was the beginning of the herding process. Apparently our
government thinks of us as flocks. Women- I know what it feels like to be treated
like as a piece of meat. However, there is a whole new meaning to it now. You
don’t know what it's like until you have been herded like a cow at the passport office.

9:03am: The Shepherd arrived to only let us know that he would be handing out numbers. Great, not only were we like sheep, we were numbered sheep... like the ones you count before falling asleep. If we did not receive a number, too bad because the barn can only hold so many. Besides, there would be another herding the following day.

9:15am: After being soaked, burnt by the blazing sun and dying from the humidity, some untamed cows thought it was wise to progress forward and cut others off. But little did
they know that my herd was not going to take it. So I commented and all of a
sudden one of our valiant members took off hurling at the Shepherd to complain. At
that very moment I realized I was the Queen calf. The power was all mine
heheh...(they had no clue what they were in for…such foolish cattle)

9:32am: I became queen Sheep # 81. Yes- I’m in suckers!

*Between 10ish and 12:30pm we were moved from stall to stall and given ridiculous instructions. I have never seen such a clueless shepherd. Between that time I was zoned out wondering what the heck I was doing. Thankfully I had great friends to remind me and get me through it. I am truly glad that the Lord has patience cause I’m sure I tried his last patience.

1:00pm: Anne Marie was a blessing; she brought me food and my sanity back.

2:45pm: My number was finally called and I was 'branded with' ... I mean, given... my passport number. I am now cow number A4187… The barn has never looked so gorgeous.

Guatemala here I come. I just pray that the Lord uses our group to fulfill his plan and that our lives as well as the children’s will be forever changed.