Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Guatemala Missions Trip

Well it’s been a while since I’ve last blogged, but to my defense I was out of the country in Guatemala. I was fortunate enough to be able to serve the Lord overseas in Guatemala City. I had forgotten what it was like to be in a 3rd world country for sometime there. Once I had arrived I was taken back by the poverty level, it reminded me much of some parts of Brazil almost. I was truly amazed by how they functioned on simple things such as traffic. Seriously they have no concept of spotted white lines much less lanes in general. At one point I was sitting at the front of the bus and this monstrosity of a semi was heading right towards us. Of course I was sitting there freaking out and I started to say my Hail Marys' as if I were catholic, anything just to help me get through it. At the last minute and what I really mean is the very last pico second the gigantic semi cut someone off as if nothing had happened. It was at that precise second that I told myself “from here on out I was going to sit in the back of the bus” and boy did I stick to that rule.

While in Guatemala I had the opportunity to work with Shalom Batista putting together a camp for the middle and high school students. Rey and I were mainly in charge of games and outdoor activities for 400 or so teenagers. We had planned a vast array of games to play, however when I first arrived I looked at the field and quickly realized I had to switch to plan xyz and that’s not an exaggeration. Thankfully the Lord understood my frustration and placed wonderful people in my life to help calm me down and me plan. As the week progressed I was able to relate to the kids and form friendships with a few of them. I thought at one point that the language barrier would be difficult but the Lord provided greatly. There was this one moment in which I remembered walking away from Isabel (my new friend pictured below) and saying to Anne Marie “wow I just spoke for 20 mins. in Spanish and she completely understood me.” Of course Anne Marie laughed and encouraged me to continue on.

Now having been back in the states a couple of days now, I've had a chance to reflect on my experiences in Guatemala. I’ve realized how much we take for granted in this country, from clean running water to showing respect to other people. Guatemalans are so appreciative of anything you give them from material items to acts of love. I was in awe of how thankful they were of the Lord even in their poorest of moments. It was marvelous to see small children huddled together praying over each other in their time of need. There is a lot to be learned from the Guatemalan culture that can’t even be explained. As cliché as it may sound, you have to be there to understand and take in the reality of their situation.

Guatemala Missions Photos